The Explore default datasets have read-only access permissions for all Explore users. When you create custom datasets, you can configure access permissions for your agents. After you add users to your Explore account, and define their role, you can choose which custom datasets they can view and change. This helps you secure your company information from unauthorized views or changes.
Read this article to learn about the various permissions available, and how to configure them for editors and admins. To learn how to create users with the editor and admin roles, see Giving agents access to Explore.
Setting editor permissions
Explore admins and account owners can set dataset access permissions for editors. If you set at least one dataset permission for another admin, they gain all permissions (create, edit and save queries, metrics and attributes) to the dataset. If you don't set any permissions for an admin, they can't access the dataset. However, because admins can manage datasets, they can go to the datasets permissions page and modify their own permissions. To ensure that an admin can’t modify datasets, change their Explore role to editor or (if you're using Support Enterprise), configure the Explore custom role Explore > What can this agent do in Explore? to Create reports.
To set permissions for editors
- In Explore, click the Admin icon () on the left sidebar.
- On the admin page, click the Editor authorizations icon.
- Click the Editor authorizations drop-down menu above your list of custom datasets. The default datasets are not shown in the list.
- On the Dataset authorizations page, choose the editor you want to set
permissions for. Note: Only users that have previously accessed the Explore instance are shown in the list.
- Check the boxes next to the permission settings you want to apply for the different
- Can view: The editor can see the dataset and the queries created from the dataset (view-only).
- Can save queries: The editor can create, update, and delete queries created from the dataset.
- Can edit: The editor can create calculated elements and edit element data structure within a dataset.
- Can edit datasets: The editor can rename datasets and select a different datasets.
Or choose Select all.
- When you are finished, navigate away from the page. Changes are saved automatically.