After you give users access to Explore and define their role, you can choose which datasets they can view and change. This helps you secure your company information from unauthorized views or changes.
This article contains the following topics:
Understanding dataset permissions
Most of the Explore default datasets have read-only access permissions for all Explore users by default. However, all Sell datasets and custom datasets require an admin to grant a user permission to see or edit.
If you don't grant an editor or admin permissions to a dataset, they won't be able to create queries from it, or see data from it in either dashboards or reports, even when shared.
Explore admins and account owners can set dataset access permissions for other users. If you set at least one dataset permission for another admin, they gain all permissions (creating, editing, and saving queries, metrics, and attributes) to the dataset.
Admins can also modify their own permissions. If you want to prevent an admin from modifying dataset permissions, change their Explore role to Editor or a custom role with only the Create reports permission.
Setting dataset permissions
To set dataset permissions for users
- In Explore, click the Admin icon () on the left sidebar.
- Click the Editor authorizations icon.
- In the Editor authorizations dropdown field, select the user you want to set
permissions for.Note: Only users who have previously accessed the Explore instance are shown in the list.
- For each dataset you want to set permissions for, select the checkboxes for the
appropriate level of access.
- Can view: The user can see the dataset and the queries created from it (view-only).
- Can save queries: The user can create, update, and delete queries created from the dataset.
- Can edit: The user can delete and edit the dataset, including the ability to rename columns and create calculated elements.
- Can edit datasets: The user can change data source parameters, delete columns, and change cloud storage.
Or choose Select all.
- When you're finished, navigate away from the page. Changes are saved automatically.