When enabled and configured for email notifications, Answer Bot uses its Article Recommendations feature to respond to support tickets by sending an automated email that lists potentially relevant knowledge base articles. This encourages self-service in your customer base, and raises awareness of your knowledge base offerings. It analyzes titles, text, and labels to select the best articles in your help center.
This article contains the following topics:
Understanding the end user experience
When you're using Answer Bot Article Recommendations in email notifications, the end user receives an automated email response to their support request. The email looks like a standard auto-response, with a list of suggested articles and other information provided by the placeholders used in the Answer Bot trigger.
From here, the end user can perform a number of actions, including:
- Clicking any of the suggested article links. This opens the help
center article in a new tab. From there, the user can read the article, click to
see to their help request, and indicate whether it helped them answer their
- Clicking the request number opens the request in a new tab.
- Clicking Yes, close my request opens the article in the help center, and closes the help request.
- Clicking No opens an optional feedback window, asking for more information about why the article didn't help.
- Reading the top suggested article. The entire article is included in the email.
- Clicking the Yes, close my request button, for any of the suggested articles. This opens the article in the help center, and closes the help request.
- Clicking No beneath the top suggested article opens an optional feedback window, asking for more information about why the article didn't help.
Activating and configuring Article Recommendations for email notifications
Activating Answer Bot is simply a matter of toggling it on in Zendesk Support. Once enabled, you'll need to configure your triggers. See Creating and managing triggers for Answer Bot.
To enable Answer Bot
- In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Bots and automations > Article recommendations.
- Click the Activate Answer Bot button (Zendesk Suite customers) or the
Try Answer Bot for 30 days button (Support + Guide
When the Answer Bot page opens, follow the onboarding tool tips, along with the information in this article, to get Answer Bot up and running.
Testing email notification results
You can test how your Answer Bot results would work on your existing support tickets, as soon as you complete an Answer Bot trigger.
For information on working with triggers for Answer Bot, see Creating and managing triggers for Answer Bot.
To test Answer Bot results
- Create a new Answer Bot-related trigger, or open an existing trigger already configured for Answer Bot.
- At the bottom of the Actions section on the trigger's edit page, click the Configure and test button.
- In the testing modal, titled Configure article labels and test Answer Bot,
fill out the following information:
- List of article labels to be included by Answer Bot for this trigger: Enter labels you want to use to filter the articles. As you type into the tag field, autocomplete displays available labels beginning with the same word or characters. Any articles with any of these labels will be used as potential Answer Bot articles.
- Ticket brand: Use the drop-down to select a brand to run the test on. The brand selected here is purely for testing purposes, and will not be added to the trigger you are creating.
- Ticket subject: This field is used to test the articles returned when a ticket is filed with this subject.
- Ticket description: Enter a short description of seven or more words, written from the ticket submitter's perspective.
- Click Show suggested answers, at the bottom of the modal, to display a list of articles your user might receive in an email notification, for a ticket with the labels and ticket information applied.
- If the results are acceptable, click Apply labels, which saves trigger. If the results are not acceptable, edit the entries and try again, or click Cancel.