To help troubleshoot problems, you can allow Zendesk to assume the role of an agent for a specific amount of time. Allowing Zendesk to access your account as an agent does not affect your license, or your available agent seats.
This article discusses the following topics:
Determining when to grant access to your account
You may want to grant access to Zendesk Support agents when you’re facing an issue that is too complex to be understood when the agent has read-only access to your account.
Some common examples include:
- Highly-technical issues that need to be escalated through multiple levels of support.
- Replication of your issue cannot be reproduced anywhere else.
- Visual analysis of console information is needed, and is not obtainable via any other method.
- Your IP configuration is incorrect.
- You need test tickets created so you can test or troubleshoot issues.
Granting access to your account
The account assumption setting is part of your security properties. This setting is disabled by default, and can be enabled by any administrator for a Zendesk product. For example, if you are an agent in Support but an administrator in Explore, you can enable this option. You can grant access to your account for a set period of time, or indefinitely, and can turn it off at any time.
- In any product, click the Zendesk Products icon () in the top bar, then select Admin Center.
- Click the Security icon () in the left sidebar, then click the Advanced tab.
- Click the Account assumption tab and select Enable account assumption.
- Use the Duration drop-down menu to choose how long Zendesk can access your account (One day, One week, One month, One year, or Indefinitely).
Access from Zendesk is disabled automatically after this period of time; however, you can update the duration to extend (or reduce) access time as needed. If you select Indefinitely, access is granted until you manually disable this setting, or select a new access duration.
- Click Save.
Access to trial accounts
The Account assumption tab in Admin Center does not show for trial accounts. Zendesk trial accounts always have account assumption enabled. Only when the trial account is converted into a paid account will you have the option to choose when Zendesk can assume into your account.