This article describes the process for disabling Zendesk messaging, and the considerations to take before doing so.
This article includes the following sections:
Considerations before disabling messaging
If you disable messaging for a brand, it removes messaging functionality for that brand, but retains any widget, SDK, and Flow Builder messaging settings you have configured. Disabling messaging at the account level deletes these settings, and the following changes occur:
- Any migrated Web Widgets revert to their previous Web Widget (Classic) configurations.
- Any new Web Widget is converted to a Web Widget (Classic).
- Android and iOS SDKs will stop working.
- Conversation bots created in Flow Builder are no longer functional.
If you're using a Web Widget...
Before disabling Zendesk messaging, we recommend that you disable any active Web Widgets first and do so in an off-peak period.
When you convert a Web Widget back to a Web Widget (Classic), any active messaging conversations will end and any in-progress tickets will remain pending. Before doing so, we recommend that you close out any active live chats, take agents offline, and close any tickets that were submitted through the messaging channel.
If you're using an Android or iOS SDK...
Before disabling Zendesk messaging, we highly recommend that you remove or replace the Android and/or iOS SDKs inside your mobile applications, releasing new versions of your applications to the app stores.
Android and iOS SDKs are different from Web Widgets in that they are specific to Zendesk messaging and will not be converted automatically back to Classic SDKs, which might leave your mobile applications essentially broken if the removal is not made ahead of the disabling process.
If you no longer want to use Zendesk messaging, but may return to it in the future, we recommend leaving messaging enabled at the account level, so you can reinstate it in the future with your previously-configured settings intact.
To disable Zendesk messaging for a brand
- First, deactivate messaging at the channel level. In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging.
- Hover your cursor over the brand you want to update, click the options icon (), then click Edit.
- On the channel's Edit page, deselect the checkbox next to Turn on messaging for this Web Widget.
If you do not want to use Zendesk messaging in the future, you can disable it at the account level as well.
To disable Zendesk messaging at the account level
- In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging setup.
- On the Messaging setup page, deselect Enable messaging for your account.