The following article will help you add the email channel to your account. You can follow our beta in-product tutorial or follow our setup guides in step 2.
1. In-product tutorial
Complete a tutorial in your own account by selecting your subdomain:
2. Article guides
Choose from one of the setup experiences below:
- "Quick setup" lets you choose between two options:
- the default Zendesk email experience,
- or the use of a Gmail address.
- "Custom setup" walks you through using your company's existing email address with Zendesk.
- After setting up your email, the "Verify setup" section of this article shows you how to ensure that everything is working properly.
Follow this path: Product tray > Admin Center > Channels > Talk and Email > Email to the email settings.
Now that you're on the email settings page, continue with one of the quick setup options available:
- The default experience
- The Google connector
The default experience
Are you okay with the email address that customers see on support tickets ending with ".zendesk.com"? Are you okay with customers emailing that address directly?
If the answer is yes to both of those questions, the default address that was automatically created on your settings page is ready to start sending email.
For information on adding more default addresses, see this article: Adding a Zendesk support address.Alternatively, you can watch the video below for a visual walk through:
The Google connector
If you're adding a Gmail address and want to avoid extensive setup, select Add address > Connect external address > Sign in with Google. After you sign into your Gmail account, you're giving Zendesk permission to automatically pull emails from that address into your account.
For more information, see this article: Enabling automatic ticket creation for your Gmail inbox.
Adding your own email address
Zendesk will gladly display your company's already existing email address when a customer receives an update from your account. There is a bit of additional setup first.
From the email settings page (Product tray > Admin Center > Channels > Talk and Email > Email), follow these steps:
- Select Add address > Connect external address
- Enter the email address you'd like to send and receive emails from
- Pause on this screen and advance to the next section on forwarding
Setting up email forwarding
To add your company's email address to your account, you'll need to:
- Log into your company's email client
- Update the forwarding settings to ensure that any time a customer sends an email to that address it forwards to your default Zendesk email address
- After you've set up forwarding, tick the box that reads Yes, I finished setting up forwarding with my email provider
- Select Verify
This will ensure that when a customer emails your company's address it creates a ticket in Zendesk. This part of the process takes place outside of your Zendesk account, so you many need an email administrator to support you.
How do I know my email setup is working?
After adding your company's email address, locate the address on the settings page (Product tray > Admin Center > Channels > Talk and Email > Email). Below the address you should see the following confirmation:
- Forwarding verified
- SPF record is valid
- DNS records are set up correctly
If you set your address by signing into Google, only the forwarding check will be visible.
To set your mind at ease, you can also send in a test ticket to your email address and verify that it creates a ticket in your account.