After you create a query, you can customize its appearance and results. If you have not yet created a query, see Creating queries.
Changing your chart type
You can display your results using over 20 chart types in Explore (see Visualization types reference). Explore will automatically select a chart type, based on the metrics and attribute you add. You can also select a new chart type in the Visualization type menu () in query builder.
- Select your query from the queries library to open query builder.
- Click the visualization type icon ().
- Select a new chart type.
- Click the visualization type icon again to close the menu.
Your query is displayed as the selected chart type.
Customizing your chart
You can edit the color, text, and interactions of your query from the Chart configuration menu (). The Chart configuration menu contains customization options unique for each chart type (see Visualization types reference). While some customization options apply to all charts, others are only visible for specific chart types.
Customization options available for all charts:
- Chart: Edit options specific for individual chart types. The chart type contains options to edit the formatting of your chart. If your chart does not have axes, you can edit text size here.
- Colors: Edit your chart text and result colors. If you are the account owner, you can set the default color in the Admin menu.
- Display format: Change the formatting of your results to percentages, currency, timestamps, or custom formats. See Changing your result format for more information.
- Row selector: If your chart has rows, this lets you edit how the row selector on the left hand side of the chart is displayed.
- Legend: Edit the location, visibility, and colors of your legend.
- Datatips: Display information about your results when a user hovers over a data point (see Working with datatips ).
- Displayed values: Controls the display and format of metric values on your chart.
- Trend line: Add and format a trend line on your charts.
- Applied filters: Show or hide filters from viewers.
- Visualization Selector: Add the Visualization Selector to your chart. This enables users to toggle between different chart types on a dashboard.
- Interactions: Enable or disable interactions (see Turning off dashboard and query interactivity).
- Decompose type: Enables you to slice only selected data points by additional attributes (see Interacting with queries).
- Drillthrough: Let's you select the elements and their order that you will see when you drill into data on your chart (see Interacting with queries).
- Explosion: Controls the display and style of exploded charts.
Customization options restricted to specific chart types:
X axis, Y axis, Secondary axes: Edit axes settings, such as color, visibility, and label size. You can edit a secondary axes if you add a metric on a dual axis (see Adding metrics to a dual axis).
Tip: If you want to change the name of the X or Y axis, double-click the axis name in the chart, then enter a new name.
- Columns: Edit the width, visibility, and alignment for table columns. For information on customizing tables, see Customizing tables.