If you're trying to import new data into your Zendesk Sell account, see Importing leads, contacts, and deals using a CSV file. However, if you're trying to update existing data in your account, use the information in this article to understand how to perform batch updates to existing leads, contacts, or deals using a CSV file.
This article covers the following topics:
Using a CSV import
Use the CSV import option to batch update your existing Leads, Companies (contacts), People (contacts), and Deals in Sell. Every record in your account has a unique ID that will identify an existing lead, contact, or deal in your account, and update the specific record.
How to import updates
- In Sell, create a Smart List of your leads, contacts or deals. When you export this file, it automatically includes the IDs of each record.
- Filter the data to include only the information you want to update. Add all the fields you need to edit in the Filter section and then export the Smart List. Your file automatically includes the IDs in the second column, as well as any additional fields you added.
- Download and open the exported CSV file in any CSV editing software (Excel, Google Spreadsheets, etc). Edit the columns containing the data you wanted to update. You can add any new information that you want to import as new custom fields during the import process.
- In Sell, click the Settings icon (), then select Preferences > Import.
Select the option to update existing data.
Select the records that you are updating (Leads, People Contacts, Company Contacts, or Deals) and upload your file.
- Map the fields in your file. Make sure that you map at least one column as lead, contact, or deal ID (if you exported a Smart List, it will be the second column). Map all the fields that you want to update to their equivalent Zendesk Sell fields. You have some choices for each column from file:
- Standard Field: Map this as one of the standard lead/person/company/deal fields
- Existing Custom Field: Map this as one of the existing Custom Fields
- New Custom Field: You can create a new Custom Field and map the entire column to that field
- Tag: You can map a column as a Tag that will be added to the record
- Note: You can map this as a Note that will be added to the record
- Review your data mapping to verify that your fields are correct. The Sell ID is used to update the records with the data from the columns in your file.
Note: Make sure your selections are correct because when you verify the mapping, the batch update cannot be reversed.
- Click Update.
- You'll receive an in-app notification when the update is complete. Click the alert icon to view your Notifications Center update.
Splitting people and company contacts
Standard fields and custom fields can be different in your Sell account for people and companies.
To create a file with only people or company contacts, go to your contacts Working List and click the Contact filter icon to select either person or company.
If you are exporting a list of company contacts only, the exported CSV file will populate the Contact ID column instead of the Company ID column.