In this article, we’ll describe how to use Flow Builder. We recommend reading About Flow Builder before following the procedures described here.
This article includes the following topics:
- Creating a new flow
- Editing an existing flow
- Inserting steps into a flow
- Managing a flow's language
- Deleting steps and flows
The following video provides an overview of conversation flows and how they work:
How conversation flows work (1:43)
Creating a new flow
However, you may want to create a new flow from the ground up. Your flow can be as simple as a single step offering a customized greeting, or include multiple branches based on customer responses. To create a new flow from scratch, you’ll need to first delete the brand’s default flow.
By default, a flow’s static text elements – those Answer Bot messages that cannot be customized, such as the feedback and fallback flows – are created and displayed in your account's default Support language. You can also select one of Answer Bot's supported languages for these elements, as well as the default, out-of-the-box flow, and enable automatic translations for the customizable text elements. See Managing a flow's language for more information.
The following video shows the steps involved in building a conversation flow:
To create a new flow
- In Admin Center, click the Channels icon () in the sidebar, then select Bots and automations > Bots.
- Locate the brand you want to create a flow for, and click Configure.
- If needed, select a language for your flow.
- In the Flow, click Add the first step.
- In the Configuration panel, use the Select action drop-down to choose the type of step you want to begin the flow and configure the step as needed
- Add the next step by clicking the Add a step icon (), then follow the instructions in step 4, above.
- Repeat until you've added all of the required steps, then click Publish in the footer.
As you are building your flow, don't forget to use the Previewer to test how the conversation will be seen by your end users.
Editing an existing flow
You can edit an existing flow in the following ways:
Editing a flow step
You can change your flow by editing the configuration details of an existing step. You cannot edit a step's type.
To edit a step in a flow
- Click the step you want to edit. Its details appear in the Configuration panel.
- Edit the elements you want to change:
- Displayed message (all step types): Update the text in the Bot message box.
- Options (Present options step): Update the options in the text box. To delete an option, click the trash can icon. To add an option, click Add an option. To reorder options, click the grip icon to drag-and-drop them into position.
- Suggested articles (Show help center articles step): To delete a suggested article, click … and select Delete. Use the Select article search box to add additional articles.
- Information collecting fields (Handoff steps): To delete a field, click … and select Delete. Use the Fields drop-down to add additional custom fields (text or drop-down field types only).
- Business hours schedule: Click the flow branching icon () to select a new business hours schedule, if available.
- Click Publish when you've finished making your changes.
Copying and pasting steps in a flow
You can copy a step, or a step and its subsequent steps, and use it elsewhere in the same flow.
To copy a step (or multiple steps) and paste it elsewhere in a flow
- Click the step you want to copy.
- At the top of the step details in the Configuration panel, click the Options icon () to open the Options menu:
- Select your option:
- Select Copy this step to copy only the selected step
- Select Copy this and following steps to copy the selected step and all subsequent steps
- Hover over the connecting line between two steps, and click the Add new icon ().
- Click the Options icon () again, and select Paste step:
The step is added to the flow.
- Continue editing the flow as needed, and click Publish when your edits are complete.
Inserting steps into a flow
In addition to copying and pasting steps into a flow, you can also insert the following step types into a flow, between two existing steps:
- Send message
- Present options
- Show Help Center articles
- Add business hours condition
It's important to note that when you add a branching step, such as a Present options or Add business hours conditions step, the subsequent, pre-existing steps will be included under the new step's initial branch.
- Present options: Existing steps are included under Option 1.
- Add business hours conditions: Existing steps are included under the When open branch.
The Transfer to agent step type cannot be added to a flow before another step. It can only be included as the final step in a flow.
To add a step into a flow
- Hover over the connecting line between two steps.
- Click the Add new icon ().
- In the Configuration panel, select the message type you want to insert into the flow, and configure the step as needed.
- Repeat as needed, then Publish your updated flow.
Managing a flow's language
By default, the static text elements in a flow appear to your end users in your account's default language. You can, however, choose to display those text elements in any of the languages supported in Answer Bot. Additionally, you can enable automatic translation to present a conversation flow in the language an end user has selected in their browser.
For more information, see Managing languages in Flow Builder.
Deleting steps and flows
To delete a step in a flow
- Click the step you want to delete. It opens in the Configuration panel.
- At the top of the Configuration panel, click the Options icon ().
- Select Delete this step. If there are subsequent steps, click Delete steps in the warning box.
- Click Publish when you've finished making your changes.