The Linked Ticket app enables you to create a child ticket from an existing parent ticket and link the two tickets together. This is particularly useful when you need to have two separate conversations around the same issue.
This article will cover the following topics:
- Installing the Linked Ticket app
- Creating a child ticket from a parent ticket
- Creating a View for child tickets
- Using business rules with the Linked Ticket app
Installing the Linked Ticket app
Before installing the app, you will need to create a text field called "Linked Data" and keep note of the custom field ID. For help on how to create a custom field check Adding custom fields to your tickets and support request forms.
To install the Linked Ticket app
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Apps > Marketplace.
- Search for Linked Ticket and select the app from the results list.
- Click Install in the upper-right corner.
- Configure the app settings.
"Reference Field" is the custom field ID for the text field called "Linked Data."
Note: You have the option to apply a tag to all child tickets created by this app.
- Click Install to complete the setup, then refresh your browser.
Creating a child ticket from a parent ticket
To create a child ticket from a parent ticket, you can refer to the apps sidebar in the ticket, and click on Create a ticket.
From there, you can fill in each of the ticket fields, and check Copy current ticket description if you would like to carry the ticket description from the parent ticket through to the child ticket. Please note that ticking this option will only carry through public replies (no internal notes), and post the description as a public reply.
Once the child ticket is created, there will be a link in the app to each ticket as per the screenshots below.
Updating the status of a child ticket will not automatically update the status of a parent ticket, and vice versa.
Creating a View for child tickets
The Linked Ticket app will automatically add a tag to child tickets called 'child_ticket'. This tag can be customized when installing the app (see Installing the Linked Ticket app).
To track your child tickets, you can create a View that meets the condition Ticket: Tags Contains at least one of the following "child_ticket".
To create this View
- Click the Admin icon () in the sidebar, then select Manage > Views.
- Click Add view in the upper-right corner.
- Under Meet all of the following conditions add:
- Ticket: Tags Contains at least one of the following child_ticket
- Ticket: Status Less than Solved
You could also add a tag to parent tickets (for example parent_ticket) to create a view for these tickets, as the app will not tag them automatically.
For more information on how to create Views, check Using views to manage ticket workflow.
Using business rules with the Linked Ticket app
You can set up triggers and automations for parent and child tickets using the tags above (child_ticket, parent_ticket). However, it is not possible to set up business rules to make two linked tickets interact with each other. For instance, it is not possible to setup a trigger to automatically solve a parent ticket once the child ticket is solved.