Zendesk messaging is a quick and easy way to create customized, automated conversational experiences, delivered to your customers through the web and mobile channels.
This article includes the following topics:
For more information on configuring and using Zendesk messaging, see the following related articles:
What is Zendesk messaging?
Zendesk messaging allows you to deliver rich, modern, and automated conversational experiences on your websites and mobile apps. When you enable messaging, it impacts how your account administrators, agents, and customers interact.
- Administrators use the Flow Builder to create automated, interactive conversations with customers. These conversations can include greetings, specific article suggestions, information-gathering fields and questions, and more.
- Agents can respond to their customers at any time and continue where they left off in a previous interaction. Conversation history in the Agent Workspace provides agents with additional context required to respond to customers.
- Customers have a the opportunity to self-solve their support issues with targeted article suggestions through the web and mobile channels, before connecting with an agent. Conversation history helps them refer to earlier support requests easily.
Requirements, recommendations, and limitations
If your account meets the requirements for enabling Zendesk messaging, you'll see an in-product message on your account's Channels page in the Admin Center.
To enable messaging, you must have an account with:
- Zendesk Suite OR Support + Chat (Team plan or higher) with the Agent Workspace enabled. See Enabling and disabling the Zendesk Agent Workspace for instructions on enabling the workspace.
Before enabling messaging, we recommend you have an account with:
- An active, public help center, with at least 10 articles that cover commonly-asked questions.
Note: A public help center is required if you plan to use Answer Bot capabilities that refer to your help center content, such as article suggestion. If you do not want to use that Answer Bot functionality, you can have a restricted help center, or no help center.
- 1,300 online chat/messaging agents actively serving conversations.
- 4,000 concurrent conversations/with 200,000 total conversations per day.
- 500 configured integrations (web/mobile/social).
The following functionality limitations apply to Zendesk messaging:
- File attachments: Agents and customers cannot currently attach files to messaging comments.
- No support for the Data Center Location add-on: Data residency for non-US and EU customers will be available in the future.
- Live Chat limitations: Because Agent Workspace must be enabled to use Zendesk messaging, there are a few changes to Chat functionality to be aware of. See Chat limitations and How Zendesk messaging impacts Chat settings for more information.
- No user authentication: It is not currently possible for a business to verify the identity of a user. We expect to remove this limitation, and provide user authentication capabilities in Q2, 2021.
- Delay in ending conversations: Conversations that result in a ticket end when the ticket associated with them is closed. The automations responsible for ticket closure run on an hourly basis; therefore, a conversation may remain active for up to an hour after closure.
- Limited conversation history (iOS and Android mobile platforms):The conversation history is limited to the last 100 messages. We expect to remove this limitation, and provide complete conversation history capabilities in Q2, 2021.
- Limited UI customization (iOS and Android mobile platforms): It is possible to modify a small set of UI colors in the Admin Center. There are currently no customization options beyond this. We will be adding additional customization capabilities in the future.
- Limited active conversations (iOS and Android mobile platforms): Agents are limited to one active conversation per mobile device. To access another conversation, they must leave the initial conversation, or end the conversation by closing the associated ticket.
- Conversation observers (iOS and Android mobile platforms): It is not possible to retrieve data on certain aspects of the conversation, such as:
- The number of unread messages
- The availability of agents
- The customer’s position in the queue to speak to an agent.