The Attachment Manager app allows you to manage ticket attachments. It combines the former Attachment Library, Attachment Restriction, Attachment Tagger (formerly Attachment Finder), and the Redact Attachments app into one sidebar experience. An agent can open and close these features using an accordion-style interface.
This article contains the following topics:
- Installing the app
- Using the app
Installing the app
The Attachment Manager app is installed from the Zendesk Marketplace.
To install the app
- In Admin Center, click the Apps and integrations icon () in the sidebar, then select Apps > Zendesk Support apps.
- Click Marketplace at the top of the page and then enter "Attachment Manager" in the Marketplace search bar. Or, simply follow the marketplace link above.
- Double-click on the Attachment Manager app icon, and click Install.
- In the installation section, enter a name for the app.
- Enter the tags to be added to existing tickets and new tickets with attachments.
- Specify any whitelist or blacklist options for allowing or blocking file extensions.
- Enable group and role restrictions if required.
- Click Install.
The app settings can be changed after installation by navigating to Admin > Apps > Manage, and under the Currently installed tab, click the Attachment Manager app dropdown options, and select Change settings.
Using the app
The Attachment Manager app is accessed in the app sidebar when viewing tickets in Support. It contains three features: All attachments, Restricted attachments, and Library.
Redacting ticket attachments
The first item in the accordion list is All attachments, which shows the number of attachments within the current ticket.
To redact ticket attachments
- Open the accordion to view all attachments on the ticket.
- Check any of the attachments you would like to remove or click the checkmark to the left of Name if you would like to select all attachments.
- Click on the Redact attachments button.
- A pop-up confirmation window will appear to allow you to confirm your choice.
- Type in the confirmation text and click Redact.
Note: Attachments cannot be retrieved once they have been redacted and will be replaced in the interface with an empty text file named "redacted.txt."
Redacting restricted ticket attachments
The second item in the app accordion list is Restricted attachments, which shows the number of invalid attachments.
To redact restricted ticket attachments
- Open the accordion to view all attachments on the ticket that violate any whitelist or blacklist rules that were specified in the app settings.
- Select the attachments you would like to remove, or select the checkmark to the left of Name if you would like to select all attachments.
- Click Redact attachments.
- A pop-up confirmation window appears to confirm your changes.
- Type confirmation text and click Redact.
Adding attachments to the attachment library
The third item in the app's accordion list is Library which allows you to manage attachments in the library. There are three tabs within this feature.
The first tab, Library, shows all attachments that are in the library.
To add attachments from the library into the current ticket
- Click on the attachments in the app to highlight them.
- Click Embed image to embed the image in the ticket, Embed link to embed a link to the attachment, or Remove to remove the item from the library.
The second tab, Ticket, shows all attachments on the current ticket.
To add attachments from the ticket into the library or into another place in the same ticket
- To add an attachment from this ticket to the current comment, click on the attachment and then click on Embed image to embed the image or Embed link to embed a link to the attachment.
- To add the attachment to the library, click Add to library.
The third tab, External, allows you to add attachments to the library from an external web page.
To add external files to the library
- To add an attachment from an external web page to the library, enter the full URL of the image into the External file URL field. The URL must contain a secure protocol "https://".
- Enter a name for the attachment.
- If the item is an image, select the File type to Image toggle.
- Cick Add to library.
Does the function of adding tags operate on ticket creation or just update? I am looking for a way to recognize new tickets with attachments before the ticket gets opened by an agent (using the tags that are applied by this attachment manager), but it seems the tags do not get applied until the ticket is opened by an agent and then submitted.
Tags are only applied when a ticket is updated. Can you tell us more about what you're trying to do with new tickets with attachments? i.e. are you wanting to report on them, or set up a view for them, or something else?
We are trying to use a view that shows which tickets come in with attachments. These are handled as a different priority group compared to other tickets and we would like to be able to see these before having to open each individual ticket.
I have the view set up so that the tagged tickets show there, but it still requires a manual sorting/update process before it moves into this view.
Are there any updates planned for this app? Currently we often get the message that certain photos cannot be added to a ticket. Any idea what the reason for this might be?
I'm sorry to hear that you're not able to upload certain images. From what I can see, your issue is currently being investigated by our team in an offline ticket. My colleagues will follow up and provide you with an update soon.
I would like to see this app have more functionality to include/exclude files based on the role. For instance we often get documents from various third parties that need to part of the ticket request, yet we want to exclude those files for end users since those documents would contain private information. Currently the file is either attached for everyone to see or it is removed. The only way around this is to create another completely separate ticket which contains the original content minus the attachments. This is cumbersome and not a good process to have two tickets for one request.
I recommend having a means to "toggle" the attachment to be "private", much like a public or private comment, which would then remove all past history or any means for the file to be shown in the communications going forward. This would be similar to Outlook where a request comes in with lots of data and attachments and the Associate/Agent can then remove the data and attachments that should not be exposed and include other customers with only the information that is relevant and public.
I propose we add some information directly into the "Using the app" section, information partly found in this comment thread and elsewhere. Here is the information I think we should add that I expected to be in the main article:
About the tags added by the Attachment Manager app:
Be aware of some limitations when using tags generated by the Attachment Manager app for reporting and business rules:
And I think we should mention this information somewhere, because it has not always been so (support for this was added at some point):
You can also filter tickets with and without attachments using the built-in Zendesk search:
This search is not dependent on having installed the Attachment Manager.
Adding a personal comment here.
As I remember it, the Attachment Manager app was created at a time when Zendesk didn't have built-in support for the has_attachment search keyword.
The tags added by the app was then extra useful (apart from its other features) as a way to have some way of tracking tickets with attachments, even though limited by only tagging when an agent gets eyes on and updates it, and that it misses tagging agent-created tickets. And I think the tagging functionality in this app can still be useful today for some basic reporting or business rules, with the caveats above.
Btw, opening up support for discovering attachments present in tickets in business rules have been requested here: Opening up "has attachment" as a trigger/automation condition
Is there a way to download/export the library?
What is the meaning of the error:
I did some digging on my end and from what I have found, uninstalling the app and re-installing it has fixed this issue in the past.
Can you try that to see if that resolves the issue for you?
Let me know!
Please sign in to leave a comment.