This article includes the following sections:
For subscription and usage information, see About Sunshine Conversations platform access and support.
Overview of Sunshine Conversations capabilities
Sunshine Conversations lets you extend your messaging options by providing a unified API to manage and automate your conversations across multiple channels. You can integrate your Zendesk instance with another app or program, such as a custom bot or an external reporting tool, or an app that triggers a desired action.Adding an external chatbot to your Zendesk setup is one of the more common usage scenarios. You can connect with customers through channels that are not currently available through Zendesk’s internal messaging channel and manage these channels through the Bots page in Admin Center. Then your agents can respond to customers across all of these channels from a single interface, the Agent Workspace.
The Sunshine Conversations workflow
The basic process for setting up a Sunshine Conversations integration between your third-party tool and Zendesk involves tasks completed in the third-party tool’s UI and across Admin Center,
These tasks include:
- Creating and configuring your third-party tool. This is completed in the tool’s own UI. Each tool has its own unique setup flow. Part of the process is, in most cases, sharing some details about your Zendesk account, so have that information handy. See Managing third-party bots in Admin Center for more information.
- Creating a Conversations API key. An API key identifies and authenticates an application or user, so you can create the integration between the app and Sunshine Conversations. See Using the Conversations API for more information.
- Creating and managing a conversation integration. The integration is how you link your business with Sunshine Conversations, and the channels you want to connect to. This task includes creating a webhook and selecting the conversation events that trigger it. See Integrating conversations in Admin Center for more information.
- Adding the channel to the Agent Workspace. Finally, if you’re adding a chatbot or social channel, you can add it to Agent Workspace, so your agents can respond to customer support requests across all channels without switching platforms. See Adding Sunshine Conversations channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace for more information.
Understanding channel integrations
Channel integration means, simply put, that you are creating a link between your Zendesk instance and an external system or channel.
The types of external channels you can integrate include:
- Over-the-top (OTT) messaging apps, such as Apple Messages for Business or Viber
- SMS, through integrations with third parties like Twilio
The list below includes channels you can connect to with Sunshine Conversations. Follow the links to learn more about each channel.