This article is a high-level walkthrough of the steps administrators need to take to get started using messaging, Zendesk’s automated conversational bot and support UI.
The steps below can be used to set up messaging in the Web Widget to embed support in your website or help center, and for your iOS and Android mobile apps. It can be used on your free Suite trial account, or a permanent Suite account.
The steps in this walkthrough are specific to integrating web and mobile messaging channels. If you are setting up social messaging integrations, see Getting started with social messaging.
This article includes the following topics:
- Enabling and configuring a messaging channel
- Upgrading to an automated bot
- Customizing your bot's behavior
- Training your agents
- Next steps
If you’re not familiar with messaging, we recommend starting with the article About messaging.
Enabling and configuring a messaging channel
Your first tasks are aimed at enabling a messaging channel – a Web Widget or mobile SDK for Android or iOS – and configuring the initial look-and-feel and basic behavior.
For a website or help center:
- Turn on messaging for a Web Widget. Create an embeddable UI with a ready-to-use default messaging experience .
- Configure your basic widget settings. Design the appearance of the app your customers will be interacting with. Choose window and text colors, logos, and more.
- Customize your default messaging behavior. Create separate experiences based on your business hours, and craft the language used to greet your customers.
- Install it. Add the widget to your website or help center.
For mobile apps:
Upgrading to an automated bot
If you want to create a more automated customer experience, you can add a bot to your messaging configuration. This gives you more opportunity to customize the interaction between bot and customer, before handing them off to a live agent. Using Flow Builder, our drag-and-drop conversational flow designer, you can configure the bot to greet customers, offer them self-service support options, hand them to an agent, and more.
Customizing your bot's behavior
- Learn about the bot possibilities. There are a number of customizable steps you can include in your bot’s flow, in any combination you choose. Understand what each step can do and how it can be used.
- Create your conversation flows. Design automated conversation paths in Flow Builder – as complex or as simple as you like – for each messaging bot.
- Manage conversation languages. Determine which language you’ll use in a single-language flow, or design multi-lingual flows.
Training your agents
All agent-side messaging activity happens in the Agent Workspace. Whether your agents are new to the Agent Workspace, or familiar with the workspace and need to know the new messaging UI, here’s where they should start.
The tasks described above are intended to get messaging up and running for you. There’s a lot more you can do to customize the entire messaging experience, for your customers and your agents. See our complete list of documentation resources.