While trying to add a new support address or a user as staff, I get the error This email address is already used by [user]. What does this mean?
It is possible that this user has already been added as an end user. You must run a search to confirm if this user already has an account. Also, an email address cannot be used both as a support address and as an identity for an agent or end user. To use the email address as a support address, you must detach it from the user it is currently associated with.
Steps to resolve
- Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner and search for the email address in question.
- On the search results page, click Users.
- Click on the user or email, which will bring you to the profile page for that user.
- Choose one of the following actions:
- Change the email address associated with the user to another address within the user's profile. If this is a legitimate user, make sure to use a valid email address at which they can receive an email. For a demonstration of how to change a user's email address, see the following video:
- Delete the user. If the user exists for testing purposes or is not a legitimate end user or agent, remove the profile. This will make the email address available again as a support address.
- If you're trying to add a user as staff, change the user from End user to Staff member under User type.
Once you have updated or removed the user, you can use the email address as a support address.
For a demonstration of how to resolve this error, see the following video:
For a high-level look at setting up email in your account, see this article: How to turn on email in Zendesk.