While trying to add a new support address or a user as staff, I get the error This email address is already used by [user]. What does this mean?
This error message means that the user was already added as an end user. Run a search to confirm if this user already has an account. Also, an email address cannot be used both as a support address and as an identity for an agent or end user. To use the email address as a support address, you must detach it from the user it is currently associated with.
Steps to resolve
- Login to your account and navigate to the dashboard.
- Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner and search for the email address in question.
- On the search results page, select Users.
- Select the user or email, which will bring you to the profile page for that user.
- Choose one of the following actions:
- Change the email address associated with the user to another address within the user's profile. If this is a legitimate user, make sure to use a valid email address at which they can receive an email. For a demonstration of how to change a user's email address, see the video below.
- Delete the user. If the user exists for testing purposes or is not a legitimate end user or agent, remove the profile. This will make the email address available again as a support address.
- If you're trying to add a user as staff, change the user from End user to Staff member under User type.
Once you have updated or removed the user, you can use the email address as a support address. For a demonstration of how to resolve this error, see the video below:
For a high-level look at setting up email in your account, see this article: How do I start using email in Zendesk?
I'm running into this issue (after the external address verified their account)
I have deleted the user and completely purged them from Zendesk but I am still getting this error.
What can I do to fix this?
Thanks for reaching out to us in Zendesk Support, I hope you're well. Just as a heads up, I'll be creating a ticket for us to work on around this issue so we can get to the bottom of what's going on. Keep your eyes on your email, support is on the way!
I am trying to add a colleague with a company email address and am also getting the "Email is already in use" error. No one by her name or email address appears in our Zendesk system, so not sure why its saying this.
Zahra and Benny Samuel,
Due to the nature of your concern, please contact support directly so that we can check the emails you are trying to register. Please don't provide any personal information, like emails, on our Community. Thank you.
I have the same problem, the issue is exactly the same with the exception that I do not have such user...
I am unable to delete a user that I don't have...
Hi Antonio Maninha I see you have raised a ticket with this concern and our team was able to assist you in solving this out :) Thank you for reaching out!
Please sign in to leave a comment.