While trying to add a new support address I get the error This email address is already used by [user]. What does this mean?
An email address cannot be used both as a support address and as an identity for an agent or end user. To use the email address as a support address, you must detach it from the user it is currently associated with.
Steps to resolve
- Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right corner and search for the email address in question.
- On the search results page, click Users.
- Click on the user or email, which will bring you to the profile page for that user.
- Choose one of the following actions:
- Change the email address associated with this user to another address. If this is a legitimate user, make sure to use a valid email address they can receive an email at.
- Delete the user. If the user exists for testing purposes or is not a legitimate end user or agent, simply remove the profile. This will make the email address available again for use as a support address.
Once you have updated or removed the user, you can use the email address as a support address.