Sell has three native object types: Leads, Contacts, and Deals. These are valuable ways to organize your business data, but don’t necessarily represent all of your business context. Use custom objects if you’d like to adjust your Sell data to better meet your needs.
With custom objects you can define new object types in Sell that are specific to your business, and then associate them with your leads, contacts, and deals. This means you can ensure your users have all the sales context available to them directly from the lead, contact, and deals cards.
To configure this feature you must be an admin in Support.
Taking full advantage of custom objects in Sell takes three steps: Define your custom object, link it to a lead, contact, or a deal, then create records around it.
This article covers the following process:
Defining your custom object
You can use custom objects to represent almost anything in Sell, such as the data of your delivery companies, contract, contractors, or products. For example, if you sell physical goods, and you want to keep information about delivery companies in your system, then you need to define what information to store for each delivery company, defining how your object should be named, and what fields it should store data for.
To define a custom object
- Click the Zendesk Products icon () in the top bar, then select Admin Center.
- Click the Sunshine icon () in the left sidebar, then click Objects > Add object.
- In the Object name field, enter a name for your object, for example delivery_company.
Note: For multiple words you must use an underscore between words instead of spaces.
- In Add object, click Add property.
- In Add property, in the Name field, enter the name of the property, for example display_name.
Note: If you want your object records to have labels, you must define the
display_nameattribute. In this scenario, if the lead used multiple delivery companies, then you would store the name of the delivery companies in the
display_nameattribute. Then your sales reps could immediately see the names of the different delivery companies that are associated with that lead.
- In the Type field, choose from the dropdown menu or leave it as
- (Optional) In the Description field you can add a brief explanation.
- Select the Required checkbox, then click Add.
Only select the Required checkbox if you want to make sure this field is filled in for all of the object records.
- Repeat steps 2-5, but in the Name field enter plan and do not select Required.
- Specify the order you want the attributes displayed by dragging and dropping the attributes into the order you want your reps to see them.
- Click Save.
Linking a custom object to a lead, contact, or deal
Now you have added an object and decided how you want it displayed, you can think about how it relates to objects that already exist in Sell. It is an important step because it defines where the objects will be displayed in the system, for example on Leads, Contacts, or Deals cards.
To link your custom object to a lead, contact, or deal
- Click Relationships > Add relationship.
- In the field Relationship name, enter a name for your relationship, for example delivery_company.
The relationship name is displayed in the widget of an object card, so ensure your label is something that your reps will understand.Note: You must define the relationship name using an underscore between words instead of spaces.
- In the Source field, choose where you want the objects to be displayed, in this scenario, choose zen:lead.
- In the Relationship type dropdown menu, choose 1:1.
You can choose either 1:1 or 1:Many, depending on the nature of the relationship. If your company has multiple delivery companies, add 1:Many so there are multiple object fields, if your company uses just one delivery company, then choose 1:1.
- In the Target field, choose your newly created type of object. For example, delivery_company.
- Click Save.
After you have created the objects and relationships, they should look similar to the following example in the related objects widget for your sales reps.
Creating objects records
After you have set up your data structure, you must create specific object records for your reps to use. For example, if you want your reps to add multiple delivery companies to their deals, then you must create a separate object record for each company.
There are two ways to create an object record:
- Use the Zendesk API (you’ll probably need a developers' help, or use a REST API client )
- Use one of the apps available in Zendesk Marketplace (such as the Sunshine Data Editor)
You can create object records via the Zendesk REST API, which is especially handy if you want to use custom objects to integrate with other systems, and to ensure the information is available for your reps on the Leads, Contacts, or Deal cards. By storing information from another system in custom objects, you can have a minimal-code integration.
To create custom objects via the Zendesk REST API
- Work with your developer to store and manage customer data (see Getting started with custom objects as the process is a little technical).