Switch between multiple chats more quickly without using a mouse with keyboard shortcuts. You can also turn keyboard shortcuts off.
Note: If you're accessing the dashboard through the Zendesk Support interface, keyboard shortcuts aren't available. You can log in to the standalone dashboard to use them.
To view available keyboard shortcuts
- Press ? to see a list of shortcuts.
To use a keyboard shortcut
Press CTRL with one of the following keys:
CTRL + number: Open the chat window for corresponding number.
- CTRL + , or CTRL + ESC: Minimize the chat window.
- CTRL + .: Close the chat window. If you're serving the chat, this will end the chat. If you're listening to the chat, it will just close the window.
- CTRL + ~: Serve a chat request.
- CTRL + ALT + ;: Select tags input field.
- CTRL + ALT + ' : Select message input field.
- CTRL + ALT +\: Toggle between current and past chats
- CTRL + ALT + / : Open actions menu.
- CTRL + ALT + [ : Go to previous chat window
- CTRL + ALT + ] : Go to next chat window
Note: Keyboard shortcuts might not work if you're using a language that requires a combination of keys to input the following symbols: ], [, /, \, ', ;, ~, .
To disable keyboard shortcuts
- Access the setting in either of the following ways:
- Open the keyboard shortcuts window by pressing CTRL + ?.
- Select Settings > Personal > Profile tab.
- Clear the Enable keyboard shortcuts check box.
- Exit the window or click Save Changes.
Sometimes when trying to cycle through tabs using the keyboard shortcuts they seem to stop working. As in, I will be able to use WIN+CTRL+, once and then it no longer works.
What is the cause of this? I have tried seeing if it is because of the type of tab that is open, or if clicking elsewhere on the screen will get it to work again, but I can't seem to identify a common thread.
When it comes to this behavior, you'll need to check if the same shortcut combination is working for other applications on your computer. If it does, you can try to clear cache on your browser. If the same issue persisted, you can try using another browser. This should normally give you a common identifier to isolate the issue.
If this behaviour persists, you should see if the same shortcut combination works for other programmes on your computer. If it does, you might try clearing your browser's cache. If the problem continued, you might want to try a different browser. This ought to typically provide you with a common identification to pinpoint the problem.
Dear Zendesk Team,
It's wonderful to finally see a shortcut to answer the chats. ( CTRL + ~)
However I would like to kindly ask you to reconsider assigning it to another, easier accessible key than ~.
The greatest issue we face is that on majority of keyboards and languages, the ~ symbol requires use of shift to be applied. And once someone selects CTRL + SHIFT + ~ instead of just CTRL + ~ as you mention, the shortcut does not work.
We were advised to "reconfigure" the keyboard for this reason, but considering how many various keyboards (physical), and how many various languages we use, this advice is not the best to implement.
So to summarize, can you please use CTRL + 0 or any other easy key, instead of the special symbol ~ for chats answering.
We would be really grateful, and the user experience would be far, far better.
Please sign in to leave a comment.