You can add users to your Zendesk manually one at a time, through a bulk import of users, through the Zendesk API, and also as new end-users submit requests for the first time. The term users here also refers to agents and administrators.
This article covers the following topics:
- Adding a user
- About the user options
- About agent privileges and ticket access
- Removing or replacing an agent
Once users have been added, you can organize them and manage the workflow using groups and organizations. See About organizations and groups .
For more information about adding users with the Zendesk API, see Zendesk REST API: Introduction .
Adding a user
Administrators can add end-users, agents, and administrators. The account owner can also add agent seats to your subscription. The account owner is included as an agent seat in your subscription.
Agents can add end-users only. Keep in mind agents with restricted ticket access can't create end-users using the steps below. This applies to agents whose access is set to anything other than All tickets in their user profile.
For information about the administrator and agent roles, see Understanding Zendesk user roles .
- Hover over the +add tab, then select User .
- Enter the user's full name, email address, and role in the pop-up dialog box.
- Click Add .
Note: If you get an error, you might need to purchase more agent seats. For details, see Adding agent seats to your subscription.
- After clicking Add , you will be re-directed to the user's profile page where you can update their groups and enter user information (see About the user options below ).
- If you're adding an agent, set privileges for the agent (see About agent privileges and ticket access below).
If you are on Enterprise, skip this step. Agent permissions are determined by the custom role you select for the agent. For more information about Enterprise custom roles, see Custom agent roles .
- If you want to add additional contact information, click Add contact , select the type of contact, then enter the contact info in the field that appears. Repeat as needed.
- The new user is saved automatically, so when you are finished you can simply navigate away. The new user receives the welcome email and verification link to choose a password and sign in for the first time.
You can also watch this short video about adding agents.
About the user options
The following table describes the options that can be set for a new user.
|Email address used for all email communications with the user.|
|Role||Defines the user's function and access level in your Zendesk. There are three user types: End-user, Agent, Administrator. On Enterprise, you can create custom roles for agents. Only administrators can change a user's role.|
|Contacts||Other contact information for the user, such as Phone, Twitter handle, Facebook page, and Google account.|
|Phone||Personal telephone number for the user.|
|Alias (Professional and Enterprise)||Alternative name for an agent to use on all communications with end-users instead of the agent's real name. If this field blank is blank, the agent's real name will be used in email communications.
For more information, see Adding an agent alias .
|Signature||Closing line added to an agent's email notifications.|
|Tags||List of tags that will automatically be added to new tickets created by this user. Separate tags with a space. Tags are added to new tickets only, not updated tickets. This is an optional feature and your Zendesk may not have enabled user tagging.
For more information about user tags, see Adding tags to users and organizations .
|Organization||A collection of users (both end-users and agents) created by an administrator. On the Team plan, users can belong to only one organization. On Professional and Enterprise, users can belong to multiple organizations, up to 300. A user does not have to belong to any organization, however.
For more information, see About organizations and groups .
|Language||Language the user will view your Zendesk in. This setting affects this user only.|
|Time zone||Local time zone for the user; used to time stamp tickets. This setting affects this user only.|
|Details||Additional details about the user. Address, for example. Details are visible to other agents but not end-users.|
|Notes||Additional notes about the user. Notes are visible to other agents but not end-users.|
About agent privileges and ticket access
When you add agents you need to define their privileges (groups they will be assigned to, their access to tickets, if they can make both public and private comments, and their forums access). These privileges are described in the following table.
|Groups||List of groups the agent belongs to. Agents must belong to at least one group.
Click the group name to edit the groups for the agent. For more information about groups see, Creating, managing, and using groups .
Define the agent's access to tickets as one of the following:
|Comments||Determine the type of comments an agent can make on tickets.
(if you have Help Center enabled)
Set the Help Center privileges for the agent.
Note: Permission for agents who are Help Center Viewers to add and edit articles and posts is set at the section level in the knowledge base (see Allowing agents to add or edit articles ) and at the topic level in the community (see Allowing agents to add or edit posts in community topics ).
|Forums (Web portal)||Set the Web portal privileges for the agent.
Removing or replacing an agent
To replace an agent with another agent, demote the current agent to an end-user and then add a new agent. By demoting instead of deleting an agent, you can preserve some information about the agent.
To remove an agent
- Make sure to reassign all the tickets currently assigned to the agent.
- Open the agent's profile page. Click Admin ( ) > Manage > People > Agents , and then click the Edit button on the right side of the agent's name.
- Downgrade the agent by selecting End-user as the new Role.
- Confirm that you want to downgrade the agent's role.
- Update any triggers and automations that auto-assigned tickets to the agent.
If you want to completely remove the agent after the downgrade, use the User options arrow in the upper right on the profile page.