Guide managers can add or edit article in the knowledge bases. Agents who are not Guide manager can add and edit drafts in sections where they have been granted permission (see Restricting access to knowledge base content). End-users can't contribute articles to the knowledge base.
You must have at least one section in the knowledge base before you can start adding articles. When you create an article, you must assign it to a section. For more information, see Anatomy of the Help Center.
Adding articles to the knowledge base
You can add an article to any section where you have permission.
To add an article to the knowledge base
- Click Articles in the top menu bar, then select Add article.
- Enter your content.
- Select a section for your article from the Publish in section menu.
- Chose any of the following options:
- To close the article for comments, deselect Open for comments.
- To promote the article in its section, select Promote article.
- To add an attachment, click Upload attachment on the lower side of the
The file size limit is 20 MB.
- (Guide Professional) Add any Labels you want.
As you start typing, a list of existing labels appears for you to chose from, or you can add a new keyword by selecting Add as a new label or by typing a word and pressing Enter.
Labels can be one word or a multiple word phrase. Labels are indexed for search with a little less weight as the article title, but multiple labels with similar words can outweigh the title and body of the article, so use labels carefully to balance your search results.
- Click Draft at the top of the article, then select Published.
If you are not ready to publish your article, you can leave it in draft status and publish it later (see Working with drafts).
- Click Create.
The article is created. You can make changes, if needed. Or you can click Show in Help Center to view the article in your Help Center.Tip: For information about how you can display an article in multiple sections, see Displaying an article or section in multiple sections or categories in our Support tech notes.
Editing articles in the knowledge base
You can edit an article in any section where you have permission to edit. It is not possible to save a draft of edits for an existing article.
To edit an article
- Navigate to the article you want to edit.
- Click Edit article in the top menu bar.
- Make your changes.
- Use the editor's toolbar for formatting options or to add links, images, or
See also Inserting videos.
Edit the HTML source by clicking the Source Code button at the end of the editor's toolbar.
- Use the editor's toolbar for formatting options or to add links, images, or tables.
- Click Update when you are ready.
The article is updated. You can make more edits, if needed. Or you can click Show in Help Center to view the article in your Help Center.
Inserting videos in articles
Your videos must be hosted on a third-party video hosting service.
To insert video in an article
- Set the preference to allow unsafe HTML in pages (see Allowing unsafe HTML in pages). This is a one-time task.
The Help Center considers portions of the embed code for videos as potentially unsafe. If you don't allow unsafe HTML, the Help Center may serve the page without all the necessary embed code.
- Obtain the embed code for your video and copy it into your computer's Clipboard.
- In Help Center, navigate to your article, then click Edit article
- Click the Source Code button on the editor's toolbar.
- Paste the video's embed code in the article's HTML.