This article describes how you can use self-service to migrate your social messaging channels to the improved social messaging experience in the Zendesk Agent Workspace. When you migrate your channels, you’ll get the full unified conversation experience provided by the agent workspace.
This migration article applies to the following social messaging channels supported by the Zendesk Agent Workspace:
Note that this article does not include instructions for migrating Facebook Messenger and Twitter DM channels. To migrate these channels, see Migrating social messaging channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace (Facebook Messenger, Twitter DM).
This article contains the following sections:
Migrating your channels
To migrate your channels
- Make sure your agents close all their current social messaging tickets.
- Follow the steps described in Migrating to the Zendesk Agent Workspace to migrate your account and enable the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
- In Admin Center, click Channels in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging.
- If applicable, locate your social messaging channels in the Channels list to verify they have been migrated.
After migration, WhatsApp and LINE channels appear in Admin Center. Sunshine Conversations channels remain in the Sunshine Conversations Admin Dashboard.
- Review the instructions in Messaging tasks for administrators and perform the tasks as described in the article. It’s important that you:
- Enable Chat for each agent that will participate in social messaging conversations. Agents need Chat access and a Chat Agent or Chat Agent (limited) role to use social messaging in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
- Organize your agents into groups.
- Update your channel settings in triggers, automations, and views. For more information, see Migrating triggers, automations, and views.
- Configure Chat routing, limits, and operating hours on the Chat dashboard. These settings control how social messages are routed to your agents.
- You don’t need to uninstall the Social Messaging or WhatsApp app.
Migrating triggers, automations, and views
In the standard Support agent interface, triggers, automations, and views can include a single social messaging option for the Channel is conditions and actions.
In the Zendesk Agent Workspace, when you add a Channel is condition or action, you can choose which social messaging channel you want to include. You can pick a specific social messaging channel or add multiple channels.
After migration, you need to update your Channel is conditions and actions in triggers, automations, and views to match the available options in the agent workspace. Making this change is important. If you don’t, your existing conditions and actions will not be recognized.
To update your conditions and actions
- Open the trigger, automation, or view you want to edit.
- Locate a Channel is condition or action. See example below.
- Change Channel is to a specific channel type. For example, LINE. See example below.
If you want to cover all social messaging channels, include a separate condition or action for each channel type.
- Save your changes.
- Repeat these steps for each Channel is condition or action you have in triggers, automations, and views.
After you’ve migrated your channels, refer to the following articles for more information:
- To learn more about the workspace, see Documentation resources for the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
- To learn more about how social messages work in the Zendesk Agent workspace, see Receiving and sending messages.
- If you decide to disable the workspace, following the instructions in Disabling the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Also, make sure your agents are aware of the following:
- The social messaging Notifier will not be available, instead agents can use ticket tabs and notifications lists in the agent workspace to monitor end-user activity.
- Social messages are marked by Via types in the conversation header. To give you better granularity, types are listed per channel. For example, WhatsApp.
- For channels that were configured in Support > Channel integrations:
- The Social Messaging Channel Info ticket field is not available for new social messaging tickets.
- The Social Messaging User Info field in end-user profiles is not available for new social messaging tickets.
- Tickets from social messaging channels do not have whatsapp_support and line_support tags added by default.
- The Integration account condition is not supported in triggers and automations.
- New tickets are created when your end users start a conversation over social messaging channels. A new end-user profile is created when an end user sends a message for the first time after migrating your social messaging channels to the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Who can't migrate?
This section describes which accounts are not eligible for self-service migration.
- If you already enabled the Zendesk Agent Workspace before self-serve migration was available, you have to manually migrate your social messaging channels. Zendesk will contact you regarding help with this process.
If you want to include Facebook and Twitter DM channels in the Agent Workspace, see these articles:
Does this mean there is no way we can create views for specific whatsapp numbers/channels?
Given Channel Integration is not supported anymore, We cannot select conditions to customise views for agents of different whatsapp numbers.
Any workaround? We process up to a thousand messages daily and it's pretty messy now with no proper grouping or routing.
Due to the interaction of Whatsapp to Agent Workspace the only workaround is to reintegrate them and assign a different brand to each integration. The brand will then be used for the conditions in Views.
I've just migrated to the agent workspace and linked our FB and Insta channels. Why don't they show up in the Channels> Messaging page? When I click to add Channel and try each one again, it says they are already connected (but not visibly connected as far as I can see). Can someone help me or open a ticket so I can attach screenshots or give account assumption for someone to check it? (the attach image button isn't working to add them to this msg either). Thanks. Jason
Thank you for commenting on this article! I am happy to help you with your social messaging channels in the agent workspace. I have raised a ticket for you and sent you a reply by email so that we can continue working together from there.
Please sign in to leave a comment.