This article describes how Chat tags are supported in the Zendesk Agent Workspace. If enabled by an admin, Chat tags are labels you add to chat sessions to help you categorize and sort your website's chat sessions so you can better understand your traffic and support needs.
About Chat tags
Zendesk Chat offers two different types of tags to categorize your visitors and chat sessions:
- Chat tags contain information about the specific content of a chat session.
You can use either or both types of tags to better understand your chat traffic. There are important differences in how these types of tags are added, stored, and displayed. For more information, see Understanding different types of tags in Chat and Setting up Chat tags.
Using Chat tags in the Zendesk Agent Workspace
In the Zendesk Agent Workspace, tags from all sources appear in one place.
- During a conversation, agents can add tags manually in the Tags field or automatically through shortcuts or macros. These tags aren't saved until the ticket is updated via the Submit button.
- When the conversation ends, agents can continue to add tags until the ticket is closed.
- If an agent transfers the chat to another online agent or group, tags remain in the Tags field.
- Ticket fields, including new tags, are saved when the chat is transferred. If a change in a ticket field activates a business rule, the business rule takes precedence over the transfer.
- Tags that agents add manually in the Tags field of the ticket interface do not show up on the Chat dashboard. Tags added through APIs and tags added by triggers do appear on the dashboard.
Adding tags manually
Agents can manually add tags to tickets during or after a Chat conversation. Depending on your support workflow, you might want to add tags to provide more context for the request so that tickets can be viewed and tracked, or processed by your account's business rules.
- To add tags manually
- In a ticket, enter new tags into the Tags field as needed. Enter a space after each tag.
For more information, see Adding tags to tickets.
Using shortcuts to add tags
Admins can add tags to shortcuts so that when agents use the shortcut, the tags are applied to the chat. For details about adding tags to shortcuts, see Adding tags to shortcuts.
- Start typing a shortcut or a slash (/) to view all shortcuts.
- Insert a shortcut by clicking it or selecting it and pressing Enter.
When you select the shortcut, the tags appear in the Tags field of the ticket.
- You can delete tags by clicking the X next to the tag.
Using macros to add tags
Agents and admins can also use the Set tags action statement in macros to include tags in tickets and apply them to a Chat. Agents can add them in personal macros and admins can add them in shared marcos and personal macros.
For more information, see Creating macros for tickets and Building macro action statements.
Is all of the above mentioned functionality released now or there is something missing?
Hi Shweta Gupta
All the features described in this article have been released, but you must have the Zendesk Agent Workspace enabled to use them and you must have Chat tags enabled.
Is this article referring to Messaging, or Live Chat?
the article is referring to Chat in the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
Hi Lisa Kelly, Can I suggest an article update for the section under Using Chat tags in the Zendesk Agent Workspace, the last point about chat tags added by shortcuts.
I have recently discovered from your ZD Support team that chat tags added by shortcuts are not recognised in Explore reporting. These tags are treated as 'manually added' tags, like an agent has added the tag not the system.
System recognised tags are tags added through APIs and tags added by triggers.
Seems weird ... anyway it would have been helpful to have this noted in the article to avoid spending days with the ZD support team to have this confirmed.
Thanks for your feedback.
I think this should be possible.
As per the following documentation, in the correct dataset:
Reporting with tags
I will recommend open a new ticket with Zendesk Support in case you are unable to report with tags.
Thanks Julio H
Unfortunately it is not possible. I spent a bit of time with your ZD Support team on this issue and they were the ones to tell me it is a limitation.
FYI - the link goes to marketplace instead of the document.
I have updated the link.
Please sign in to leave a comment.