You can take and place Talk calls directly from a web browser or with your phone.
Setting up your browser for calls
The web browser that you use for Talk might affect audio quality. Zendesk Talk recommends Google Chrome for the best experience. Chrome relies on browser-native audio compression and streaming capabilities known as WebRTC, or web real-time communications. The standard is currently only supported by Chrome.
Agents can also use another browser with the Adobe Flash plugin, such as Firefox, Safari, or Internet Explorer.
To take calls with your browser
- Click the Talk icon () on the right side of the top toolbar to open the call console.
- In the call console, click the globe icon and then select Via Browser.
Opening ports on your computer
If you use a browser to take calls, you need to open ports on your computer and network firewalls for Zendesk Talk to work. The ports depend on your browser.
If your browser uses Adobe Flash (that is, all browsers except Chrome), make sure the following ports are not blocked:
- TCP: 80, 443, 843 and 1935
If your browser is Chrome with WebRTC, make sure the following ports are not blocked:
- TCP: port 80 and 443
- UDP: all ports between 10,000 and 60,000
For more information, see the Twilio client requirements on the Twilio website.
- Open the required ports on your computer.
Follow the steps for your operating system.
- Open the required ports on your network firewall.
- For an enterprise/office environment, give the above port requirements to your IT team.
- For a home environment, follow the steps for your operating system.
- (Optional) Test your ports to confirm they are open.
See Talk network requirements for information on computer ports.
Setting up your phone for calls
In addition to answering calls via the browser, you can select to forward calls to your office or mobile phone.
To take calls with your phone
- Edit your user profile by selecting the User menu, then clicking View profile page.
- Next to Agent forwarding, click +add number.
- In the window that appears, select a country and enter your phone number.
If your telephone number includes an extension, add it to the extension field. If you also use additional key presses, you can also add those to the extension field. For example, if a caller must dial '123' followed by a pound ('#') key, enter '123#'.
- Click Save.
- In the call console, click the globe icon and select Via Phone.