You can determine which content users see by setting view permissions. The following options are available:
- Visible to everyone includes anyone who visits your help center and does not require sign in.
- Signed-in users includes internal and external users who create an account and sign in to your help center.
- Agents and admins includes staff members only, so that you can create content that is internal-only.
- Custom user segment enables you to restrict viewing access to specific users based on tags, organizations, or groups by applying custom user segments, see Creating user segments to restrict access.
You set view permissions at the article level, not the section or category level. You must be a Guide admin or an agent with publishing permissions to set view permissions for articles.
If visibility for all the articles in a section is internal, then the section will not be visible to end-users, but if one article in an internal section is visible to any end-users, then the section will become visible as well.
View restrictions do not apply to Guide admins. Admins can access all knowledge base content, regardless of the view permissions.
To set view permissions for an existing knowledge base article
- In your help center, navigate to the article you want to edit, then click Edit article in the top menu bar.
Alternatively, in Guide, click the Manage articles () icon in the sidebar, then select an article from an article list to open it in edit mode.
- Click Article settings at the bottom of the sidebar.
- Under Visible to, click the drop-down menu, then select an option to determine which users can view this article.
Guide admins and agents with publishing permissions can set view permissions. Agents who do not have publish permissions anywhere will not see this option, and view permissions will default to agents and admins. You can make the article visible to:
- Signed-in users
- Agents and managers
- A custom user segment, see Creating user segments to restrict access. Only twenty custom user segments appear in the drop-down; use search if you have more user segments.
Any articles that require users to sign in are not indexed by Google.
- Click Save.
To set access restrictions in the community, see Applying user segments to restrict access to community content.