Account ownership is managed in Admin Center. You must be the current account owner to change account ownership. There can be only one account owner at a time. If you aren't the account owner, you can find the account owner and request they make the change.
Zendesk can't change the account owner for you. If you can't find the account owner, work with your IT administrators to access their email address and initiate a password reset. If you can’t resolve this, contact Zendesk Customer Support to initiate a security review.
This article includes the following topics:
Transferring account ownership
Only the current account owner can transfer ownership to another user. When the current owner is still available, transferring ownership is simple. By setting another admin to the account owner role, the previous account owner loses access to all subscription-related pages such as Invoices and Payment.
To transfer ownership to a different user the new owner must be a current admin on the account. If you need to add the new account owner, see Adding agents and administrators.
When you change the owner of your account, integrations that were set up by the previous account owner may break. The new account owner might need to reauthorize integrations.
To transfer ownership to a current administrator
- In Admin Center, click Account in the sidebar, then select Billing > Contacts.
- Click the Account owner tab.
- Select an admin from the Account Owner drop-down list. You must have at least one other admin to see the list.
- Click Save.
To transfer ownership to a new admin when no agent seats are available
If you need to add the new owner to the account, and no agent seats are available, the current owner can edit their own user profile to make the transfer.
- In Zendesk Support click the current owner's profile icon in the upper-right corner of the page header and then select View profile page.
- In the profile's email field click add contact and enter the new owner's email
The current owner will receive an email that this new address has been added.
- After the current owner receives the email, return to the current owner's profile in Support.
- Click the dropdown icon on the new email address and select Make primary contact.
- Delete the old owner's email address from the account.
The account and profile now belong to the new owner.
- Reset the account's password and update the other account information as needed.Note: If you don't want to change the email address of the current owner profile, you can submit a request to Zendesk Customer Support to see if it's possible to add a temporary agent seat to your account to create a new user profile.
Finding the account owner
If you don't know the owner of your account you can view the roles assigned to your users to find out.
To find the account owner
- In Admin Center, click People in the sidebar, then select Team > Team members.
- Search through the list of team members.
The team member who is the account owner will have an Administrator (Owner) role.Note: Zendesk can't change the account owner for you. If the current account owner is no longer available, work with your IT administrators to access their email address and initiate a password reset. If you can’t resolve this, contact Zendesk Customer Support to initiate a security review.