This article describes the steps you need to take to import your Knowledge Base from a CSV file to Zendesk using the Help Desk Migration service.
Help Desk Migration is an official Zendesk solution partner that offers data migration services to companies looking to transfer their data between help desk software. Note that to use the automatic data migration tool, you need to pay a fee. However, you can test it free of charge before you decide to pay a penny.
Objects you can import to Zendesk
The service enables you to import Articles, Categories, and Folders into your Zendesk.
You can also import tickets and related data from CSV to Zendesk. To find out how to do it, please read this article.
Requirements for the migration
When preparing your data for the migration, make sure to follow the below requirements:
- The size of your file should not exceed 1 GB.
- The file must contain a heading row with summary columns such as Title, Category, Folder, etc. See the full list below.
- Use a comma as a delimiter.
- When adding attachments, you need to provide the URL of each attachment. You may add multiple attachments by separating them with commas. Note that URLs for attachments support both HTTP and HTTPS protocols. The attachments can be located anywhere where they can be accessed by the migration tool.
- Use double-quote marks (") in your CSV file to capture data that spans multiple lines. E.g., Tags, Attachments, Description.
- File headers must be written in English and begin with a capital letter.
Preparing the Knowledge Base CSV file
Your file should contain a heading row with the following columns:
- Title - required;
- Category - required;
- Folder - required;
- Description - required;
- Status - required;
- Tags - optional;
- Attachments - optional.
There are no limits to the number of rows in the file. Just make sure you meet the upload size limits. However, you can't have folders with identical names, even if they belong to different categories. You will need to rename them to be able to import data.
How to import your Knowledge Base to Zendesk
1. Select CSV as the data source and upload the file with the articles. You may use Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, or upload a file from the computer. When uploading from cloud storage apps, you need to enable shared access.
1.1. If you want to import the knowledge base alone, use the samples provided by the tool to pass the first step. Later, when selecting the objects, you want to migrate simply skip tickets.
2. Select Zendesk as the target platform and specify your company's Zendesk URL.
3. Select which Knowledge Base objects you want to migrate.
4. Start a Free Demo and check its result in your Zendesk Guide.
5. If you are satisfied with the results, go ahead, and complete your data transfer.
Should you have any questions about the migration? Feel free to contact Help Desk Migration.
Please sign in to leave a comment.