This article describes the features and functionality available for the pre-GA feeback release of the Slack integration with Zendesk messaging.
The feedback release provides you with a channel that allows your end users to work from their day-to-day approved business tool, while providing support directly from Zendesk. It supports both internal and external use cases, allowing for a wider range of support for your customers.
This article includes the following topics:
About the feedback release
This new Slack integration allows for direct collaboration between a user and a Zendesk agent, via a Slack handle. This release supports a single Slack handle, which can be used for internal help desk support or supporting users/ partners in a different Slack workspace
With this early feedback release, you can perform the following actions in Slack:
- Send a direct message to a handle and reply from Zendesk
- A user from a different workspace can direct message a handle and bes supported from Zendesk
- Continue conversations with an end user after a Slack direct ticket has been closed
- Create a single Slack direct integration in Admin Center
- Hard delete a Slack direct integration in Admin Center to stop monitoring a handle and prevent further tickets from coming through the integration
- Inspect an existing Slack Connect integration in Admin Center
- Use automations, macros, and triggers on a Slack Direct ticket
Requirements and limitations
The Slack account you are integrating must have Require App Approval enabled.
In addition, you must have a Zendesk account with:
- Zendesk Suite OR Support + Chat (Team plan or above)
- Zendesk Agent Workspace is enabled. See Enabling and disabling the Zendesk Agent Workspace.
- Zendesk messaging enabled. See About messaging.
- At least one Chat-enabled agent. See About Staff roles in Zendesk Admin Center.
- Currently only one handle can be added. More handles will be allowed in future releases.
- Slack as a channel is intended to support 1:1 requests. Currently, one to many (multi-conversation) is not supported.
- Thread conversations are not supported for this iteration, this means replying within a thread in the direct message will not come over to Zendesk.
- Sending a direct message to the handle, while logged in as the handle will not create a live message in Zendesk (to prevent echoing).
- @replies to the handle within a channel will not create a live message in Zendesk.
Joining the pre-release
If you meet the requirements listed in the previous section, you can request access to the pre-release by filling out the sign-up form.
Setting up the channel
The steps for setting up the Slack channel for messaging includes:
- Adding your Slack handle as a channel in Zendesk Agent Workspace
- Setting up triggers, automations, and views for your Slack channel
- Setting up your agents to use the channels
To add the Slack channel to the Agent Workspace
- Sign in to your Slack account, using the Slack handle you want to add.
- In Admin Center, click Channels in the sidebar, then select Messaging and social > Messaging.
- Click Add channel, then select Slack.
- Enter a Channel name that will allow users to easily identify your account.
- If your account hasmultiple brands, select a Brand to associate with the channel.
- Click Next, then click the Link workspace in Slack button.
- On the approval page, click Allow. If the Allow button is not active, make sure you have enabled Require App Approval on the Slack account.
Your Slack account is now an active channel in Zendesk.
Once your Slack account is linked, you can finish the setup process:
Using the integration
Slack Direct Message can be used in two ways:
Internal help desk support
Any direct message to the handle will come in as a messaging conversation to Zendesk via Slack. This allows you to set up triggers to assign messages to groups, and have an agent directly support your employees using live messages.
Groups can then use Macros and other support apps to serve your employees and help them get the support they need.
Using messaging with Slack, you can:
- See the full conversation history between the employee and the Slack handle and create a complete history of that employee's records with this group.
- Link the employee user profile to any existing profile for a full and complete record of your employee.
- Report from explore on groups performance and see a full history of support provided to employees from the designated Slack handle.
- Manage your channels in one place via Zendesk Admin Center.
Partnership support via Slack connect
This new feature also supports partnerships integrations via Slack Connect. This allows you to invite partners and contractors to collaborate with the Slack handle via a Connect channel. Utilizing this approach you can set up your handle to support onboarding new customers with premium support or marketing collaborations and a lot more.
To configure your handle to support customer onboarding
- Create a Slack Connect channel with the handle and invite the collaborator.
- Now that the connection has been made between your workspace and the collaborators, inform them that they can directly message the handle at any time.
- Direct messages with the handle will come across to Zendesk, much like the internal employee support allowing you to manage and support these partnerships.
- Zendesk user profiles are automatically created for end users who send direct messages.
- Explore reports allow you to gain insight into these collaborations.