Capacity rules in omnichannel routing help you balance your team workload by setting capacities on automatically assigned work. For example, you could specify that only ten open email tickets at a time can be assigned to particular agents. Omnichannel routing comes with a default preconfigured capacity rule that you can edit. You can also create your own capacity rules to suit your needs.
This can be a great way of ensuring that your less experienced agents are not assigned to much work while they ramp up.
Agents will initially always be assigned to whichever capacity rule you set as the default. An agent can only ever be assigned to one capacity rule, so if you assign an agent to a new default rule, they will automatically be unassigned from their current one.
An inactive message in a queue will only be assigned to an agent with spare capacity, but it won’t take up any of that capacity.
Tip: If you configure a capacity rule, agents can still manually assign themselves work in excess of the limits you specify.
In the following topics, you’ll learn how to add and manage capacity rules:
Adding capacity rules
Omnichannel routing comes with a built-in capacity rule to get you started, but you can add additional rules to configure omnichannel rule
To add a capacity rule
- >In Admin Center, click Objects and rules in the sidebar, then select Omnichannel routing > Capacity rules.
- On the Capacity rules page, click Add capacity rule.
- On the Add capacity rule page, provide the following information:
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the capacity rule.
- Description: Optionally, enter a description that helps you to identify the capacity rule.
- Set as default: New team members are automatically assigned to the default capacity rule. Team members who are already assigned to a capacity rule won’t change.
Note: If you create a new capacity rule and assign a team member to it, they are removed from the default capacity rule. If you delete a capacity rule, all team members assigned to it are assigned back to the default rule.
- Assignees: Click Add assignee to specify the agents to whom this rule applies.
- Capacities > Email: Enter the number of email tickets that can be assigned to an agent at one time (maximum 500).
- Capacities > Messaging: Enter the number of active messaging tickets that can be assigned to an agent at one time (maximum 500). Inactive messages are not counted towards capacity.
- When you are finished, click Add capacity rule.
Your new capacity rule is displayed on the Capacity rules page and begins to work immediately.
Editing capacity rules
Use this procedure if you want to change settings (such as the assigned agents) for a capacity rule.
To edit a capacity rule
- On the Capacity rules page, click the edit button, and then select Edit.
- On the capacity rule page, make any changes you want, then click Save.
Viewing agents assigned to a capacity rule
Use this procedure to get a quick look at which agents are assigned to a capacity rule.
To view agents assigned to a capacity rule
- On the Capacity rules page, click the edit button, and then select View assignees.
- A drawer showing the list of assignees is displayed. You can use the search bar to find a particular assignee.
- When you are finished, close the assignee list drawer.
Deleting capacity rules
When you no longer need a capacity rule you can delete it. You can’t delete the built-in capacity rule.
To delete a capacity rule
- On the Capacity rules page, click the edit button, and then select Delete.
- Click Delete to confirm that you want to delete the rule.