Capacity rules are part of omnichannel routing that help you balance your team workload by setting capacities on automatically assigned work. For example, you could specify that only ten open email tickets at a time can be assigned to particular agents. Omnichannel routing comes with a default capacity rule that you can use as-is or edit. You can also create your own capacity rules to suit your needs.
This can be a great way of ensuring that your less experienced agents are not assigned too much work while they ramp up.
Agents will initially always be assigned to whichever capacity rule you set as the default. An agent can only ever be assigned to one capacity rule, so if you assign an agent to a new default rule, they will automatically be unassigned from their current one.
An inactive messaging ticket in a queue will only be assigned to an agent with spare capacity, but it won’t take up any of that capacity.
Adding capacity rules
Omnichannel routing comes with a built-in capacity rule to get you started, but you can add additional rules as required.
To add a capacity rule
- In Admin Center, click Objects and rules in the sidebar, then select Omnichannel routing > Capacity rules.
- On the Capacity rules page, click Add capacity rule.
- On the Add capacity rule page, provide the following information:
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the capacity rule.
- Description: Optionally, enter a description that helps you to identify the capacity rule.
- Set as default: New team members are automatically assigned to the default capacity rule. Team members who are already assigned to a capacity rule won’t change.
Note: If you create a new capacity rule and assign a team member to it, they are removed from the default capacity rule. If you delete a capacity rule, all team members assigned to it are assigned back to the default rule.
- Assignees: Click Add assignee to specify the agents to whom this rule applies.
- Capacities > Email: Enter the number of open email tickets that can be assigned to an agent at one time (maximum 500). Tickets that are pending or on hold are not counted towards capacity.
- Capacities > Messaging: Enter the number of active messaging tickets that can be assigned to an agent at one time (maximum 500). Inactive messaging tickets are not counted towards capacity.
- Capacities > Talk: Enter the number of call tickets that can be assigned to an agent at one time. Options are 0 or 1. If you choose 0, the agents cannot receive calls.
- When you are finished, click Add capacity rule.
Your new capacity rule is displayed on the Capacity rules page and begins to work immediately.